- Our people
- Debbie Brett
Partner, Commercial & Regulatory Law
+44 (0)118 951 6826
- Intellectual property
- Marketing and advertising
- Commercial agreements
- Insolvency - personal and corporate
- Data protection and Freedom of Information
- Leeds Metropolitan University, CPE and LPC (Commendation)
- University of Leeds, BA (Hons) History
- Member, Society for Computers and Law
- Acting for a UK manufacturer, succesfully defending a trademark infringement case in the High Court. Read more.
- Acting for the defendant as UK counsel on the first cross-border application by the OFT for an injunction to restrain misleading advertising.
- Acting for a UK manufacturer in an investigation into the marketing of its products by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate and securing a positive outcome, avoiding litigation.
- Advice to a leading specialist in the development and production of dairy hygiene and livestock health management products, in relation to a collaboration agreement with a specialist software and product development company. Debbie was involved all aspects of the proposed collaboration, from the earliest heads of terms stage, and subsequently drafted the collaboration agreement.
"Deborah Brett specialises in commercial contracts and is also recommended for her experience in disputes." Chambers UK
Blandy & Blandy’s “first-class” Corporate and Commercial team “is noted for its ‘in-depth knowledge’ and “clear and concise advice”. Deborah Brett is recommended for her work on the commercial side.
The Legal 500
"Blandy & Blandy did an excellent job on delivering a training session to our line managers, the training was enjoyable and informative. They understood our requirements and we felt that the objectives of this training were definitely met. The training had a positive impact on our line managers as it made them think about how they manage their staff." Harmeet K Bumrah, Unatrac Ltd
“The excellent CPD presentation by Blandy & Blandy’s Karen Jones and Debbie Brett on the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) was an extremely informative event for us at Pegasus Planning Group in view of the emerging changes to the planning system. Karen and Debbie used their extensive planning and commercial experience (respectively) to provide a focused discussion interspersed with specific cases which illustrated the key messages admirably. The CPD session was structured to allow for interaction throughout with our staff which provided valuable opportunity for us to drill down into areas specific to planning.” Martyn Smith, Director, Pegasus Planning Group Ltd
"Debbie is a quite frankly excellent and a trusted advisor."
“Many thanks for all your professional and helpful support and advice on this matter over the last couple of years.”
"Specialises in commercial contracts and is also recommended for her experience in disputes." The Legal 500
Debbie Brett is a partner in our Corporate and Commercial team, heading up the firm's Intellectual Property, Business Regulation and Compliance function. She advises clients on all aspects of commercial and regulatory law and is also experienced in handling commercial disputes. The team operates across our Reading, Henley-on-Thames and London offices.
She is responsible for project management of commercial transactions, including risk identification and allocation, drafting, negotiation and advising on appropriate documentation.
Debbie advises her business clients in relation to regulatory and compliance matters, including online trading, data protection and anti-bribery. She frequently deals with regulators on behalf of her clients, such as the Office of Fair Trading, the Information Commissioner and the Advertising Standards Authority.
She has particular experience in relation to intellectual property, advertising and marketing, advising on copy, brand protection and defence of current campaigns. Debbie also provides bespoke training on business regulation and compliance.
In March 2017 Debbie was a guest Editor of the Journal of Data Protection and Privacy, published by Henley Business School. She also writes articles for Lexis Nexis, on intellectual property and technology.
She trained at Blandy & Blandy LLP, becoming a partner in 2006, and is recommended in The Legal 500 for her expertise.