- Our people
- Laura Binnie
Associate Solicitor, Employment Law
- Tribunal claims and procedure
- Disability discrimination advice and representation, particularly relating to mental impairments
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Negotiations on termination of employment
- Strategic HR advice
- Cardiff University, LPC
- University of Bristol, LLB (Hons)
- Member, Employment Lawyers Association
- Advising our client (a leading IT reseller company in the UK) on a sensitive disability discrimination claim brought by an ex-employee who suffered with a mental impairment and reaching a swift settlement of the case.
- Defending employment tribunal proceedings which included allegations of disability discrimination (such disabilities including bilateral chrondromalacia, carpel tunnel and Trigger Finger) and unlawful deduction from wages. The latter claim involved the tricky issue of whether the Claimant had a contractual entitlement to be paid an injury allowance and specifically, whether this NHS benefit had transferred under TUPE.
- Successfully defending an unfair dismissal and religious discrimination claim at a full tribunal hearing – the case was reported in a number of employment publications online as it concerned the complex and topical issue of Sunday working and employees who object to working when it conflicts with their religious commitments.
- Advising a number of individual senior employees in matters concerning difficult existing employment situations. These have involved complaints of sex, race and disability discrimination as well as bullying and harassment. Laura’s work has involved advising throughout grievance processes as well as subsequent employment tribunal proceedings which ultimately involved recovery of compensation and negotiated exits from the company.
Laura Binnie is experienced in handling contentious matters for claimants and respondents and regularly appears for clients in tribunal claims, with emphasis on those involving disability discrimination. She comes highly recommended by clients, who state that she is "excellent technically and brought a caring attitude in addition to excellent client service." Chambers UK Guide
"I felt Laura did brilliantly dealing with me, especially considering my health conditions and guiding me every step of the way. Without her guidance this process would have been impossible. She is an asset to the firm. Thank you."
“Laura did a superb job of taking care of us; she is a real credit to Blandy & Blandy.”
“Thank you for all your help and support. You have been a superstar! It has been a difficult time."
"Many thanks Laura. You have been fantastic, thank you so much."
"Your advice was extremely helpful and much appreciated."
"Many Thanks for advising me with the settlement agreement. Your help and back and forth on this has been much appreciated."
"Thank you for your compassionate and professional help Laura."
“Laura always has plenty of time to explain things and make sure you understand and are happy/clear with what is happening. I recommend you at any opportunity.”
"Thank you. Your firm has been both efficient and supportive."
“I cannot thank Laura enough for her professional approach, guidance, advice and understanding which helped me tremendously on a matter which I found extremely stressful.”
"I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to Laura for her constant guidance and advice during a very difficult legal process for me. Her professionalism and empathy are outstanding and I always felt that it was important to her that I understood each step of the way, enabling me to make informed decisions as a result of her counsel. It is thanks to Laura that I reached a positive and reasonable resolution in a short space of time and I whole-heartedly recommend her to anyone who needs legal assistance with employment law. Thank you."
“This is exceptional and as you will have gathered, I am a very demanding client. I realise that and therefore can only congratulate you on exceeding my expectations. I am truly impressed. Thank you again.”
“Many thanks for your prompt response. It has been a pleasure using your services as you have made it straight forward and easy to understand process.”
"Thanks so much for your support, advice and guidance, it has been a pleasure working with you. I always felt informed and up to date."
"Thank you very much. It has been a pleasure working with you and should I ever find myself or anyone close to me in this unfortunate situation again I know exactly where to come."
"Your professionalism has been a great support for me at this difficult time."
“Thank you so much for all of your support.”
"Thank you so much.. you’ve been a great help."
“Thank you for your kind words and all your help through this difficult time. I really cannot thank you enough…Of course, if I need a solicitor then Blandy and Blandy will be my first choice. Afterall, you are the best.”
"Laura comes highly recommended by clients, who state that she is 'excellent technically' and 'brought a caring attitude in addition to excellent client service.'"
Chambers UK Guide
Laura Binnie is an associate solicitor in our Employment law team, which spans our Reading, Henley-on-Thames and London offices.
Laura undertakes a mixture of Employment law work, with an emphasis on contentious cases. She has a great deal of experience of handling tribunal claims, ranging from unfair dismissal to lengthy discrimination cases, including conducting advocacy at hearings.
Laura is recommended in Chambers UK Guide for her expertise. She regularly presents at training workshops, seminars and other events and is commonly found playing the role of lead advocate in the firm's annual mock employment tribunal. Laura also shares responsibility for preparing the firm's regular employment law e-bulletins and is a frequent contributor to the firm's blog.
Laura trained with (what is now) Bond Dickinson in Bristol before joining Blandy & Blandy LLP in 2007.