- Our people
- Simon Dimmick
Partner, Planning & Environmental Law
- Strategic planning, promoting potential development sites.
- Planning and development, including advice on interpretation of policy, lawful use and material change of use and reuse of redundant or unoccupied buildings.
- Section 106 planning agreements and Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Highways law, including Section 278 and Section 38 Agreements.
- Highways Act protections and procedures.
- Environmental matters, particularly provision of avoidance measures by way of SANGS for SPA land.
- Environmental Statement review and advice.
- Considerations necessary on giving planning and environmental advice to public and charitable bodies.
- Public law advice.
- College of Law (Guildford)
- University College London, LLB (Hons)
- Member, Law Society
- Planning permission for a large 100 acre site in a Strategic Development Location (SDL) for up to 1,350 new homes, a primary school, village centre with supermarket and public open spaces, related Section 106 and other agreements and the subsequent disposal of this site to a consortium of developers for a reported £100 million.
- Promotion of 2,000 dwellings in a site in South Oxfordshire, including the development and landowner’s agreements and giving advice on environmental structure.
- Advised on the redevelopment of land for a Science and Innovation Park and associated one mile of road infrastructure.
- Various commercial and agricultural sites in West Wales owned by a private individual.
- Planning and development advice for independent schools in relation to redevelopment of their sites.
- Specific strategy advice for developers.
- Promotion of regeneration site on Humber Estuary.
The "devastatingly effective" Simon Dimmick is praised for being "very constructive and always seeking a solution to various problems." He is regularly instructed by well-known clients such as the University of Reading. Chambers UK Guide
'Simon Dimmick "is excellent to deal with because he is reasonable and pragmatic," clients report, adding: "He clearly demonstrates great knowledge of his field." He is particularly strong on complex strategic projects.' Chambers UK Guide
"Helpful, knowledgeable and reliable." The Legal 500
“Blandy & Blandy LLP’s ‘planning and environment expertise is particularly strong’. Team head Karen Jones and Simon Dimmick are both recommended.” The Legal 500
"Simon Dimmick is noted for his breadth of knowledge in the sector and for his commercial, strategically aware approach to complex mandates. Sources describe him as 'extremely good. He gets things done and he's always trying to think of new angles on existing problems.'" Chambers UK Guide
Simon Dimmick is an expert in the environmental aspects of planning applications and development. An impressed source notes: "He is good in particular at creating the right constructive atmosphere." Chambers UK Guide
"It’s just so good to have someone close to hand we can recommend and with whom we have such a good (and friendly) working relationship." Senior Planning Consultant
"We are always keen to refer people to a safe pair of hands." Top 5 UK Planning lawyer
“I couldn’t have asked for anything better.”
"Noted for his breadth of knowledge in the sector and for his commercial, strategically aware approach to complex mandates." Chambers UK Guide
Involved in a number of high level strategic planning projects for the local area, Simon is renowned for his advice on planning strategy and development considerations and is active in this role for several major landowner clients. He is well known and highly regarded by local authorities, landowners and developers across the Thames Valley. He is skilled at pulling teams together on large and complex projects and at identifying issues that need to be addressed, as well as the route to address and solve difficulties associated with them.
Simon was originally with Berkshire County Council, where he ran the BCC commercial property group, before he moved into private practice in 1988. He joined Blandy & Blandy in 2002. He has lectured in Planning law at the University of Reading's renowned School of Real Estate & Planning, part of the Henley Business School.
Planning Magazine’s 2017 Planning Law Survey ranked Blandy & Blandy LLP among the UK's top planning law firms and our expertise in both planning and environmental law is also recognised in The Legal 500 and Chambers UK Guide. Simon is individually recommended in both legal directories, with clients describing him as "devastatingly effective", "very constructive" and "always seeking a solution to various problems".
Simon attends and regularly speaks at a wide range of planning and sector focused events in London and across the Thames Valley, including the firm's annual planning law seminar. He has also appeared on BBC Radio Berkshire as a legal expert.