Blandy & Blandy Solicitors

COVID-19 - Making an Appointment and Visiting our Offices >>

Leaving a Cohabiting Relationship

Our experienced team of specialist Family Law solicitors, based in Reading and Henley-on-Thames, can advise you on leaving a cohabiting relationship.

Are You Considering Leaving a Cohabiting Relationship?

Unmarried couples who are separating may need assistance dealing with financial arrangements, particularly it they own a property together or have been living together in a property owned by one person alone.

The law in relation to cohabiting couples is different from married couples and any financial disputes will be governed by trust and property law. Advice in this area can be very fact specific and often cases are determined by establishing what the couple did, agreed or intended during their relationship.  

There are also potential financial claims that can be made on behalf of children to the relationship. These are made under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989 and can include the provision of a suitable property, lump sum payments for specific expenses and child maintenance.  

How Can We Help?

If you are unmarried, we can help you deal with arrangements on separation in particular in relation to your finances and children. We can advise and support you whilst you navigate what can often be difficult areas of trust and property law. We can explore the appropriate dispute resolution process for you and support you in trying to reach a suitable final outcome.

If there are children involved, we can advise in relation to child arrangements and can also support and advise you if you wish to make a financial claim on behalf of your child or children. This may be financial support for housing, child maintenance or a lump sum for a specific need.

Our Family Law team can advise on leaving a cohabiting relationship so please get in touch if you would like to find out more.

Looking for expert legal advice?

“Blandy & Blandy's wealth of experience in Family Law is second to none.”

“A standout firm of Family Law solicitors in Reading and the Thames Valley.”